Sunday, January 13, 2008

Nice Booty!

I don't really know why I'm doing this, but lately I've been crocheting up some little booties. You know, the ones for babies?! Okay, I do have two little twin great nephews that I could make things for, but did I? No! I did little girl booties! So I don't know what I'm going to do with them exactly when they're done, but they're going to be cute, from the looks of them so far.

I've really got into felting, and I had a vision that some felted baby booties would be just to gosh darned cute, so I had to make that vision come to life. I've started with three pairs of booties that I crocheted from 100% wool. I then water felted them, and they're cute on their own like this...



They're stuffed right now while they finish drying by the way. So anyway, I want to embellish them still. You know, jazz them up a bit! I'm going to needle felt some sort of decoration on them, to give them a little oomph.

I had received some money for Christmas this year, so I decided to buy some felting needles and some wool roving to try my hand at needle felting. I've been intrigued by it, and what all you can with it. I want to try some sculptures with this medium. So far I've just made a ball, with a another ball felted to it, and this serves as a pin cushion kind of thingy to stick these wicked needles into so I don't have some sort of accident with a stray needle. They're really sharp, and they have barbs on them as well. I tried to get a close up of the needles with my camera, but I couldn't manage to get those little barbs to show clearly, but here's a picture -- a kind of blurry one at that -- of the needle felted pin cushion ball I made, and it's holding my needles...



So what I'll do with these booties when they're done, I haven't quite decided yet. Maybe my niece will get pregnant again and have a little girl for the twins to protect when they get older! Or maybe I'll try selling them on Etsy or something. I've never sold anything there before, but it may be worth checking it out. I don't know... we'll see.

Olivia

No comments: