Thursday, July 13, 2006

ATC's and ACEO's

Can you tell I'm feeling chatty tonight? :-)

I've always been an artsy type of person, but I'm thinking I must have been living under a rock for some time now. I've just recently discovered something I think is really pretty cool. That is ATC's and ACEO's. For those of you looking at this and wondering what the hell I'm talking about with all these acronyms, ATC stands for Artist Trading Cards, and ACEO stands for Art Cards, Editions & Originals. What they are is a card that an artist has created, and are of the standard trading/collectible card size of 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches. No bigger, no smaller. These Art Cards are made to be collected and traded, and they're generally available at a reasonable price, so everyone can afford to collect them! You can display them as what they truly are... a work of art. You can frame them by themselves or in groups. You can carry them in your wallet, or your pocket. Use them as a bookmark, or store them as a collection in an album. They can be made from all types of media, from watercolors, acrylics, or oil paints, pencil drawings, colored pencils, collage or digitally created. They can also be made from a photo, or rubber stamping. They may be whimsical or very serene. It's all up to the artist that has created them. The possibilities are endless, and what's so nice about them, is that everyone has the chance to own an authentic, original piece of artwork at an extremely affordable price. The only other stipulation of creating and calling an ACEO or ATC your own work of art, apart from the size, is that you haven't used any copyrighted material that is not of your own copyright. But you know to do that would be just stealing, and so very wrong.

I don't want to post anybody else's copyrighted cards here, since I haven't asked for their permission, but if you would like to see some of my favorites from the current eBay listings, here are a few links for you to check out...

  • An adorable "Cherry Fairy" by Eyezone
  • A beautiful watercolor titled "Black Eyed Susans" by Elaine
  • Another pretty watercolor of a "Ballerina" by Irina Akimova
  • An acrylic of a "White Tiger" by a talented artist named Lee Smith
  • A stunning pencil drawing of a German Sheppard titled "Magda" from Rocking Hi Studios
  • And this very whimsical watercolor of a "Vintage Boxing Poster", that was done on a dare by artist W DeWitt

At this time, there are over 4000 different works of art come up on a search at eBay for ACEO. Within that search, they are currently ranging in price from a mere 1 penny, up to about $66.00.

I've been working on some ACEO cards of my own to sell on eBay, but considering I'm leaving for a 2 1/2 week vacation next week, I won't be listing any of them until I return home. Once I do list them though, you can be sure I'll post the links here as well. :-)

Art cards... who'da thunk it?!

Olivia

No comments: