Monday, October 22, 2007

Now this sounds like fun!

I was checking out this website for St. Augustine, Florida, and in particular, the Events in St. Augustine, which happens to be the oldest city in the Nation, and because of that it's also known as "Ancient City". One thing that I thought looked really neat to take in when you're in the area, or if you life nearby, is held the last Saturday of every month. They call it "Uptown Saturday Night". I like the name too. It reminds me of the olden days for some reason.

Taking place in the antique district on San Marco Avenue, there are all kinds of antique shops that will stay open from 5pm to 9pm on these Saturday nights. All the shops will be serving refreshments, like wine and such for the patrons while they shop and enjoy the live music happening on the street. The book stores will have authors present for book signings and some may be doing readings from their books. There will be artists milling about in the art galleries for you to meet and talk to about their work.

Over on Aviles Street, which by the way happens to be the oldest street in America, you can park for free at the Mission of Nombre de Dios, which is the home of "The Great Cross". This cross stands over 200 feet high! You can also check out the Ripley's museum, which also stays open for Uptown Saturday Night. If you don't have plans for this weekend, you could head there and check it out. The next event takes place this Saturday, October 27th, and if you can't make it this month, mark your calendar for next month's event, which will be happening on November 24th.

I wish we had something like this event around here. I think it would be a fun way to spend a Saturday evening, taking in the sights and sounds, while strolling up and down the streets and checking out the cool shops. With St. Augustine being the oldest city, I can just imagine what kinds of neat treasures could be found in the antique shops! I love poking around in flea markets and antique stores to see if I can find some kind of nifty old gadget or funky old bauble. And the antique linens I'm a sucker for! You just can't find anyone these days that does the intricate embroidery that the ladies from bygone days used to do. I wish I had the time and the patience to attempt trying to recreate some of these designs they stitched on pillow cases and such.

So now I have another place to add on my places I want to go. St. Augustine is now there, and when the time comes that I do make it to this Ancient City, I'll be sure to be going there when I can take in one of these Uptown Saturday Nights!


Olivia






No comments: